Swimming can help you lose weight as it is one of the few sports that works all the major muscle groups in the body. Providing benefits from aerobic fitness to relaxation, swimming is a must-try sport.
However, swimming doesn’t just help you become a slim jim; it does so much more.
We’ve highlighted the main reasons why swimming helps you lose weight, along with a list of the many other benefits it brings.
Why Swimming Helps You Lose Weight
Swimming burns A LOT of calories.
It’s thought that a relaxed swim can burn around 500 calories per hour, which can increase to a cool 700 calories per hour if you put in that extra little bit of effort.
The calories continue to burn even after you’ve stepped out of the swimming pool, as your body continues to recover and rebuild the muscle tissue. So when you’re eating that chocolate bar to regain your energy, you won’t have to feel so bad!
Swimming is a form of resistance exercise. This means you’re constantly battling against the water to keep your body moving forward. As well as helping you shed those pounds, this also improves your strength. In addition to helping you well as slim down, swimming helps you to tone up. Bonus!
An important aspect that shouldn’t be overlooked is the impact regular swimming can have on your health. It gives your cardiovascular system an excellent workout, which is a huge benefit to aid weight loss. As you’re using all the muscles in your body, it means your heart and lungs have to work extra hard to supply them with oxygen. Because of this, those organs gradually get stronger which means you can exercise for longer, and in turn your resting heart rate will decrease and blood pressure will lower.
Other Swimming Benefits
- Swimming typically improves the flexibility of muscles and joints due to the nature of the movement when in the water.
- If you’ve recently suffered a sporting injury, swimming can help with recovery thanks to its low impact,
while still building muscles and strengthening your cardiovascular system.
- Swimming is a relaxing form of exercise that can be set at your own pace, which means it can also be done at any age.
- Swimming lets you tailor your exercise to target different areas of the body.
- Swimming, in the opinion of the swimfreaks at least, makes losing weight fun!
So, fancy giving swimming a try? Get down to your local leisure centre and take the plunge… Once you’ve kitted yourself out with the most reliable (and coolest) swimming goggles in the UK, obviously.